Thursday, September 18, 2014

Training Day 4: B.D.O.B.!!!

Yes... I made that up... B.D.O.B.!!! It stands for Big Day Of Bonding!! The only way a service dog relationship can really be successful is if the child and dog are nicely bonded. And like I mentioned before, it takes a little extra work and possibly more time when the child is like Benjamin and non-verbal, developmentally delayed and doesn't quite understand what's happening and what he's suppose to do in the relationship. We are encouraging it as much as possible but it will take continual work with both Sobe and Benjamin.

Today, Benjamin was in another room just off the classroom and down the hall taking a nap, where we can check on him every few minutes. He comes crawling out of the room and making his way towards the classroom. Sobe spots him coming and flies towards the doorway showering him with kisses. I mean, we lost her leash and everything (some handlers eh? hahaha we were not expecting that!) It was awesome!! Sobe loves her boy! She really is a special dog! She is sensitive, loving and cuddly and a perfect match for Benjamin in every way! Somebody asked me if we were happy with the dog we got and if we wished anything was different and the answer is NO!!! There are so many awesome, beautiful dogs in our class but each one is so perfectly matched with our kiddos, if we had a different dog... it wouldn't fit! I know this was one thing I was worried about in our waiting period and so I'm writing to future families... Do not worry!!! 4 Paws is GREAT at what they do!!

Look at these two:


I know some days might be hard or it might not feel so successful, but it was really neat to see Sobe's exuberant love for her buddy on only Day 4!!

We learned two new commands today: "stand" and "lap". Stand is self explanatory and "lap" means for Sobe to come and put her nose on Benjamin's lap. I'll have to get pics of this!!

We also worked on more distractions. Each dog seems to have their own really big temptation. Here's Ben putting a container of mac and cheese in front of Sobe! (btw, this is not mean... this is everyday work for these dogs and to be successful and stay focused, they have to be able to ignore human food and everything else.) Don't worry we treat them for their great behavior and work!! (video below)


Ben has been mostly handling Sobe during class time and at night, so tonight he had me practice with her quite a bit. I am getting more confident for sure. I mostly get flustered when I have Benjamin and Sobe by myself and Benjamin throws a tantrum! But it will get to be second nature with time!!

Tomorrow afternoon we head to the mall... GULP!!!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment