Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Happy Birthday #6!!

I can't believe I haven't blogged since March! I'm so mad at myself! So much has happened and I want to remember everything!! I'm going to try and do better. I've had this chronic sinus infection that is kicking my butt. After three treatments of antibiotics, a steroid treatment, cat scan and now headed to the ENT. Man oh man... I'm glad it's nothing worse, but it exhausts me... and I seriously feel like half of my brain is missing. How can you blog when you can't even think?? Hopefully we'll get this straightened out soon! ;)

I can't believe this boy is 6!! May 13th was his birthday!


I remember sitting in the cardiologist office at one of our first appointments and Dr. Carlson telling us that she didn't know how long Benjamin would be here with us. And I remember praying to God, "Just please let us have some time with him", and he is six years old now! And kicking life's bootie!  

Birthday at school (video below- may not show up on some devices)


After school, Benjamin had a surprise minion visit at home:

Benjamin with Krystal his caregiver
We went to the beach for our annual family reunion the day after B's birthday so we had a little celebration there too! I love having my sister be apart of his birthday and that's not always possible since she lives in CA. 


The other day we were leaving school, which has tended to be a really hard transition for Benjamin... lots of "complaining" and crying and resisting. He's been doing so much better but the other day he kept buckling his knees down to the ground but wasn't crying, just wasn't cooperating. I was like, "Quit, Benjamin! You need to stand up and walk to the car nicely please".  He did it again so I just left him on the ground to give him a minute to pull it together. He quickly found the perfect pine needle, grabbed it ever so nicely with his fine pincher fingers, looked up at me with a big smile, I grabbed his hand, he stood up, and walked to the car perfectly the rest of the way. Boy did I miss that one!!

How often in life do we misunderstand each other because of the lack of communication? This boy is teaching and reminding me daily to take two more seconds and try to understand the other person. It's not always the case of defiance, or a behavioral issue... or somebody out to tick me off. Sometimes it's just a second to stop and smell the roses... find the perfect stick, look at bird flying... and if I'm in too much of a hurry, I might miss the entire magical moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment